Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rant.

So this is a rant. If you don't like reading them, then you should likely stop reading. Also, sorry bout saying i'd post and then not doing it. Writer's block, then being forced to write a 2000 word report kinda took all my desire to write away. Anyways. Yea. Gotta get this outta my system before I kill someone.
For the past I don't know how long, my roommate's boyfriend Paul has been living with us. I was fine with that at first, he'd go home all the time to shower etc., but he's slowly been moving in. First he brought an overnight bag. This would sit on our living room floor in the corner out of everyone's way, so I was fine with that too. Then he started leaving his clothes on the floor. Especially old stinky socks. I don't appreciate that at all, but I let it slide. Then he brought over a proper duffel bag. It sat in the same place as his overnight bag used to sit. Then it started to get left open, and clothes would migrate out of it onto our floor.
This was about the time that he started eating a lot of food. Before he'd eat some, but would politely leave food so that I'd have leftovers I could use for my lunches, because I can't afford to buy food anymore. Now, he usually finishes off whatever is made, no matter how much is there. A week ago I made a huge pot of chili which would feed my entire family for half a week easily. He and my roommate had it gone within 12 hours, and I only got a small plate of it. That really ticked me off, because I'd told both of them I wanted to use it for my lunch for the rest of the week.
Some time last week, Paul brought over weight lifting equipment. Just some little things, nothing big, but he always leaves it parked in the middle of the living room floor, so you have to go around it. Earlier this week, he brought over his hockey duffel bag. This thing is huge. You could easily fit a full grown man inside this thing. Guess where it is... Yep. In the middle of the living room floor. On top of that, his clothing is all over. Even his deodorant and crap is all over the place.
I just went out there and it looks like we've got a squatter living in our living room. There are clothes laying about and equipment everywhere. There's magazines and newspapers piled on the coffee table, and even the floor. Random blankets on the floor. Everything. It's a huge mess. I've mentioned it to my roommate, but she's done nothing about it.
There's no excuse for this. My roommate's room is considerably larger than mine, and yet when my boyfriend was staying with us, all of his stuff stayed in my room. She could keep her bf's stuff in her room, but she doesn't. I've even tried moving his crap into her room when they're both not here, but it just moves right back to where it was. If I could, I'd be kicking her out very soon. This has been going on too long. Not only does her bf stay here all the time, he eats our food, and makes my life unpleasant, yet all he does for us is put gas in her car (which never moves), and occasionally buys himself Coke or something. A couple of weeks ago he polished off four cases of coke I'd bought for myself without an apology. He'd even found the coke I'd hidden behind some rotten stuff in the fridge.
I'm thinking I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about cleaning his junk up and moving it to my rm's room, because I shouldn't have to live in a pig sty just because she doesn't mind it. Another peeve? She never ever takes the garbage to the dumpster, which is behind the house beside us. Instead she piles it just outside my window, where I'm sure it will get very ripe once it warms up some more. The only time the garbage actually gets to the dumpster is when I do it myself. Her bf has helped me once cuz I basically gave him no choice in the matter, and that's about all the help he's ever done around here.
Oh, and one other thing. During the winter when it was really cold out, she needed to plug her car in to be able to start it in the morning. She only had a tiny extension cord, so she borrowed one of mine without asking. This was in January. It sat outside on the ground, just asking to be stolen, until I picked it up on Sunday, after asking her more than once to put it away.
I could continue on like this for pages. I can hardly wait until she's gone. The moral of this story? Don't just go with random roommates. Not a good idea. Next place I get may just be for me, especially if I don't know how my potential roommate likes to live, whether they're white trash or not. It will cost me an arm and a leg, and result in me putting a lot of hours into working, but anything is better than what I have to put up with on a daily basis. Oh, and I'm certainly going to be paying the whole damage deposit, so that if I have to, I'll have the leverage to get rid of an unpleasant roommate.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Sounds like you need to approach him with a request (maybe a request isn't harsh enough, you could make it an order) to help out with some of the rent and grocery bills. It's only fair since he is there so much and he does eat so much. Also, you can designate a shelf in the fridge as yours and let them know that anything on that shelf is off limits. Those are just a few things I've picked up from having bad roommates.